Trash Collection & Recycling Procedures
Trash collection throughout the township is collected each Friday. Recycling collection in the northern and southern sections of the township will continue on an alternating week schedule as indicated on the township calendar. Bulky items such as white goods (appliances) and tires are picked up curbside on the last Wednesday each month (limit of 4 tires per household, off the rims).
Weekly Trash Collection Guidelines
- All trash should be bagged no heavier than 40 pounds.
- Bags should be placed curbside the evening before scheduled pick-up time.
- Do NOT use refuse containers designed for mechanical truck emptying; use only manual-style containers. (please see photo below)
- If you are using a plastic container to hold the bags, the container must have handles and should never be as large as a 55 gallon drum. Do not use recycle containers to dispose of trash.
- In most circumstances there should never be more than 10 bags placed curbside each week. Special house projects may warrant the rental of a dumpster at the residents expense.
- Disposal of any debris generated by a Contractor is the sole responsibility of the contractor.
- Windows and doors must have glass removed before putting curbside. The glass is to be placed in a cardboard box and marked "Broken Glass" and placed curbside.
- Carpet is to be cut into 4 foot lengths, rolled and tied, again no heavier than 40 pounds.
- All empty trash containers must be removed from curbside within 12 hours of trash removal.
Recycle Coach is a service to provide recycling information to residents and businesses about how to recycle and what to recycle in Maurice River Township.
Click Here to access Garbage & Recycling Information specific to Maurice River Township.
The Recycle Coach site is sponsored by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.
Appliances & Tires
- Kitchen appliances, air conditioners, etc. should be placed curbside for pickup on the last Wednesday of the month.
- A limit of four tires per household may be placed curbside for pickup on the last Wednesday of the month. Tires must be off the rim!
Other "Trash" or Unwanted Items
- Pesticides, flammable materials, oil based paint, or poisonous chemicals should only be disposed of at the Household Hazardous Waste Day events held at the Cumberland County Improvement Authority Solid Waste Complex (County Landfill) located at 169 Jesse Bridge Road (off W Sherman Avenue) from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Never, ever pour these hazardous materials in storm drains, river, bay, sink drains, etc.
- Pizza boxes, wax containers, pots-n-pans, tableware, light bulbs, Corning Ware®, Tupperware®, ceramics, mirrors, motor oil/lubricant/paint/pesticide containers, and Styrofoam® are all regular trash.
- Fluorescent tubes (not bulbs) should be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Day Events.
- Batteries - Household AA, AAA, C, D, 9-V alkaline batteries are regular trash.
- Batteries - Lithium, or rechargeable batteries should be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Day Events
- Rigid plastic items such as 'Little Tikes' toys are trash - consider donating these items.
Household Hazardous Waste Day Events
Cumberland County Improvement Authority’s Household Hazardous Waste Day Events are at the Solid Waste Complex (Landfill), 169 Jesse Bridge Road (Off W Sherman Avenue)
- Saturday, April 21, 2018 (8:00 am to 2:00 pm)
- Saturday, June 9, 2018 (8:00 am to 2:00 pm)
- Saturday, September 8, 2018 (8:00 am to 2:00 pm)
Single Stream Recycling is Now County-Wide!
Single Stream Recycling means that ALL recyclables (paper, glass, cans, plastic) will be picked up in the same truck. You may continue to use both the square and round buckets to place all your recyclables curbside. In fact, you can use your own containers for recyclables as long as the container is labeled "Recyclables." Recycling containers are available at the Municipal Building for a fee.
What To Recycle
- Corrugated cardboard - Please flatten and place curbside on your regularly scheduled recycling day. The cardboard drop-off sites behind the Municipal Garage (552 Main Street, Leesburg), Cumberland Fire Hall (5272 Route 49) or Port Elizabeth Fire Hall (7 Port Elizabeth Cumberland Road) are still available for large quantities or when quick disposal is desired.
- Gray boxes - Cereal boxes, tissue boxes, etc. are now recyclable.
- Newspaper, junk mail, phone books, office paper, etc. - Do not tie, bundle or put these items or put in plastic or paper bags as they contaminate the paper quality. The county has requested documents that require shredding be set aside for the township Shred Day events or Household Hazardous Waste Days. Shredded paper creates a transportation and delivery mess on windy days. Please do not put shredded paper curbside.
- Glass - Clear, brown and green food containers, beverage bottles and jars - Remove lids and empty all liquid and contents before putting curbside.
- Aluminum, tin, and bi-metal cans which contained food and beverages. (Do not recycle automotive oil cans!)
- Plastic - All plastic containers with a recycling symbol of 1, 2, 4, 5 or 7 are recyclable! Plastic milk jugs, soda bottles, etc. should have the caps removed!!! (Throw the caps in the trash please.)
- Milk cartons, soup cartons, drink boxes, etc. - Empty contents, rinse and put out for recycling.
- Waste Oil and Used Antifreeze - Please bring to the Municipal Garage, 552 Main Street, Leesburg 8 to 10 a.m. on Mondays or Fridays only. (An attendant must be present.) or take to the Household Hazardous Waste Day events.
- Electronics - TV’s computers, monitors, lap tops, and other similar electronics should be brought to the Municipal Garage, 552 Main Street, Leesburg 8 to 10 a.m. or take to the Household Hazardous Waste Day events.
- Fluorescent Bulbs (not tubes) - Bulbs only may be recycled at The Home Depot or take to the Household Hazardous Waste Day events.
- Boat Shrink Wrap - The county has removed all shrink wrap receptacles. Please take the shrink wrap to the county landfill.
Please contact Louann Karrer at 856-785-1120, ext. 113 for recycling questions not answered!