Spring is here! As temperatures begin to rise, it’s the perfect time for all Atlantic City Electric customers to take steps to make their homes and businesses more energy efficient. While the next few months should provide more comfortable temperatures, we all know summer will be here before you know it, and so will higher energy bills that go along with hot summer days. Atlantic City Electric provides customers with important energy savings tips and information to help prepare their homes and businesses to save money and energy this summer.
In most cases, energy efficiency adjustments can be implemented at low or no cost to customers.
- Insulate your home. Insulating your home or business can significantly reduce cooling costs, while increasing the comfort of your home during hot weather.
- Keep the hot air out. Use caulking or weather-stripping around leaky windows, doors and other areas to help prevent warm air from entering your residence.
- Make spring greener. Proper selection and placement of trees, shrubs and vines adds attractiveness and helps lower the cooling needs of a home by creating shade space.
- Remove heat producing light bulbs. Replace incandescent bulbs, halogen lights and traditional flood lights with LEDs or CFLs. They use less energy. They don’t produce heat and last longer.
- Check your thermostat. Consider investing in a smart thermostat that can connect to your mobile devices, helping you manage your temperature and energy use anytime, anywhere. Set your thermostat a few degrees higher in the summer, if health permits. You can save about two percent on your bill for every degree you raise your thermostat.
- Filter savings into your pocket. A clean air filter on your HVAC system improves system efficiency and provide cost savings by regularly changing them. Also, have your air conditioning unit periodically inspected by a professional service representative.
- Allow air to flow freely. Ensure that furniture or other obstacles are not blocking ducts or fans. This enables cooled air to circulate freely, making your home or business more comfortable.
- Properly position appliances. Keep lamps, televisions or other heat sources away from the air conditioner’s thermostat. Heat from these devices may cause the air conditioner unit to run longer than it should.
- Don’t tank your energy savings. Lowering the temperature on your water heater/hot water tank can help save money and energy.
- Adjust your blinds. Close window shades, blinds or drapes to keep out the sun and retain cooler air inside.
- Consider an upgrade. Earn rebates by purchasing ENERGY STAR® home appliances, electronics, and other qualifying high-efficiency heating and cooling equipment. ENERGY STAR® products meet strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy.
Atlantic City Electric’s Quick Home Energy Check-up Program offers homeowners and renters a virtual or in-person assessment of their home’s energy use. An energy analyst will install simple energy-saving measures at no cost to help customers save energy and money and identify energy-saving opportunities for further consideration. Customers can learn more about energy efficiency programs and information to help them reduce their energy usage by visiting atlanticcityelectric.com/WaysToSave.
Customers can also manage their bill through My Account, Atlantic City Electric’s online energy management tool that shows how much energy a customer is using. More information is available for customers at atlanticcityelectric.com/MyAccount.