• Prior to entering the courtroom, please turn off or silence your phone or pager.
• When you get to court, check in with court staff.
• Listen to instructions from court staff and from the judge. The proceedings are sound recorded, so please remain quiet until it is your time to speak.
• The judge will give an opening statement explaining court procedures, defendants’ rights and penalties.
Cases are usually called in the following order:
Requests for postponements
Pleas of not guilty with an attorney
Pleas of not guilty without an attorney
• A case may be postponed to give you time to obtain representation by a private attorney or by a public defender if you qualify and prepare your defense. If you need a postponement, ask the court staff for assistance.
• If your case involves a dispute between you and another person, you may be required to participate in a discussion with a mediator to attempt to settle the dispute without going in front of the judge.